The University of Cyprus is accepting applications for the postgraduate programmes beginning in September 2024, by Friday 31 May 2024 until 12 noon.
Applications can be submitted electronically using the online application system https://ucy.ac.cy/postgraduate_appl_en.
The aim of the new MSc Artificial Intelligence programme, starting in September 2022, and which will be delivered in English, is to be a modern programme, containing a strong interdisciplinary element as required by human-centric, explainable, and responsible artificial intelligence. Its compulsory courses include courses on artificial intelligence and ethics, as well as on artificial intelligence and entrepreneurship. Providing career counselling to students is a high priority, with the aim of helping all graduates to successfully pursue an AI-related career, possibly set up their own start-ups.
The development of this new master’s programme is co-funded by the European Union (Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) — Telecommunications Sector). Europe’s initiative to fund new master’s programmes in Artificial Intelligence demonstrates the importance Europe attaches to recent developments in this area, in providing solutions to global problems related to every aspect of human life, contributing to growth and competitiveness. Europe urgently needs more professionals in Artificial Intelligence, entrepreneurs, and researchers, capable of paving the way for new innovations for the good of society and pushing the borders of the field towards new challenges. This new generation of AI graduates must be fully familiar with the latest technological developments in terms of the breadth and depth of technical knowledge in Artificial Intelligence, be connected to industry and be fully aware of the ethical issues involved.
The programme’s collaboration network includes four European Universities (University of Cyprus, University of Bologna, Technische Universität Dresden, and University of Ruse Angel Kanchev), the CYENS Centre of Excellence and four high-tech SMEs (Nodes & Links Labs, 3AeHealth LTD, INJENIA SRL, MLPS AD). Fostering strong links with industry provides significant added value to the educational experience.
The programme’s intended learning outcomes are the following:
- Grasp the fundamental principles and techniques that underline software systems that exhibit “intelligent” behavior, be aware of the latest developments in AI and appreciate the wide breath of study that AI requires.
- Acquire a holistic view of machine learning enabling them to understand the principles that drive most scientific and industrial AI innovations.
- Understand how to provide computers with the ability to intelligently process human language, extracting meaning, information, and structure from text, speech, web pages, and social networks.
- Master key concepts and challenges of relevance to AI and data-driven entrepreneurship.
- Be able to apply methods and tools of AI research, and be aware of professional practices, and associated technological culture, bearing in mind EC’s regulatory framework.
- Understand the basics of implementing systems that are not only highly performing, but also adhere to our ethical socio-legal cultural values and to understand how research into AI ethics feeds into policy and how policy requirements affect the development of AI systems.
- Acquire deep knowledge and familiarity with current and future research challenges in several specialized topics covered in the elective courses.
- Be aware of the career opportunities in the various countries.
- Exhibit versatility and innovative thinking in addressing and managing open questions in a variety of contexts, as an essential asset for careers in AI.
- Develop transferable skills such as: oral and written scientific communication, near fluent use of scientific English, use of information/communication technology, organization and planning of group work.
|Fall Semester 1
MAI611 AI Fundamentals
MAI612 Machine Learning
MAI613 Research Methodologies and Professional Practices in AI
MAI614 AI on the Edge Webinars I
Elective course 1
|Spring Semester 1
MAI621 AI Ethics I
MAI622 AI Entrepreneurship
Elective course 2
Elective course 3
|Summer Period 1 (Student participation is optional)
MAI601 AI Camp
MAI602 Research/industrial internship
(On the basis of evaluation an internship could count as an elective)
|Fall Semester 2
MAI631 AI Ethics II and AI Policy Making
MAI632 AI on the Edge Webinars II
Elective course 4
MAI641 Master Thesis OR Elective course 5 and Elective course
|MSc Total ECTS
Elective Courses (8 ECTS each):
MAI623 Natural Language Processing
MAI642 Deep Learning
MAI643 AI in Medicine
MAI644 Computer Vision
MAI645 Machine Learning for Graphics and Computer Vision
MAI646 Cognitive Programming for Human-Centric AI
MAI647 Computational Neuroscience
MAI648 Human-Centered Intelligent User Interfaces
MAI649 Principles of Ontological Databases
MAI650 Internet of Things
MAI651 AI and Creativity
Additional Elective Courses from Master in Data Science:
DSC511 Data Analytics
DSC551 Data Visualization
DSC516 Cloud Computing
Full information about the program and descriptons of courses can be found at https://mai4car.eu.
Announcement Flyer: https://www.cs.ucy.ac.cy/docs/MSc-AI-announcement-flyer.pdf
Announcement Details: https://www.cs.ucy.ac.cy/docs/MSc-AI-announcement-details.pdf